According to historical records of the erstwhile unified Midnapur District , a major portion of the Pataspur Pergunnah ( now called Pargana ) came under the Pargunadar control of Choudhury Murari Mohan Dasmohapatra family ,through a special Endowment order of Territory grant of Emperor Aurangzeb of the Mughal Empire around 1779. Official record shows that Choudhury Murari Mohan Dasmohapatra was awarded with this territory grant for his service and usefulness to the Mughal court. Murari Mohan Dasmohapatra originally belonged to the Athgarh ( near puri) region of Orissa, and after becoming the Pergunadar, he toke on the Title of “Choudhury” and settled down in a village named Khar in the Pataspur Pergunnaha and then subsequently after some years build a big and royal Raj bari in the village of panchet nearby , from where the Official work of the Pergunnaha started to function.
Fokelore also says that , the Choudhury- Dasmohapatra”s discovered a very old Shiva temple in a very deserted and dense forest , and decided to build their administrative Headquarters and Royal Residence around this Shiv Mandir. Here it needs to be noted that the Dasmohapatra”s were by caste ” Karans”and were worshipers of Lord Shiva. They reconstructed and repaired this Old Shiva Temple and converted it into a grand ” Pancha- Shiva Mandir”.Thus the name: Panchetgarh : was arrived. Side by side they also started the construction of the Royal Raj bari : The Garh-Haveli, from where they would control the affairs of the Pergunnah. This Garh- Haveli became the administrative center and the Royal residence of the Choudhury- Dasmohapatra family thereon. Still now some of their ancestors stay in the Garh- Haveli now popularly called ” The Raj Bari”.
In the interim period this territory came under the control of the Nawab of Murshidabad and from them the control vested with the Maratha Court of the Holkars of Indore.After this development some of the family members of the Choudhury- Dasmohapatra family travelled all the way to Indore to present their credentials before the Royal Court of Queen Ahalya Bai Holkar and made a strong representation for the reverting back of the Administrative control of the territory.The Court was pleased and revert back the Jagirdari to the Chaudhury – Dasmohapatra family.
Then again around 1803, the area came under the British control when Colonel Fenwick conquered the Zamindars of Kamarda, Pataspur, Bhograi and Jamkonda. From here onwards starts the Zamindari system under the British Raj of the Choudhary/Dasmohapatra family.
During this period the British Raj also endowed the family with another Zamindari territory in the Bhograi Telesil under the Balasore district in the Orissa region. During this period the Orissa and Bengal state formed the unified Bengal- Orissa Province of the British Raj with the administrative capital in Calcutta ( now Kolkata).